Friday, December 9, 2011

How reliable is a transmission after you convert it from automatic to manual?

how does it shift?


run?


and is it as good as a stock manual transmission that comes standard on a car?


does anyone here have any experience?|||You can not convert an automatic transmission to a standard. What you can do is remove the auto and replace it with a standard. I've done it and it's reasonably simple. Go to a salvage yard and get the parts from a model like yours. Get everything at once and you're still sure to miss a couple of small things but with a little elbow grease, you'll have a car that performs as good as the factory installed standard. If you really want to improve on the transmission, buy an aftermarket transmission such as a Richmond or similar and use it instead of the factory standard. Also get yourself a top dollar clutch and you'll be all set to go.|||that all depends on how you drive the car...but it should be relaiable...don't know why you'd want to go to a standard transmission unless you are racing though...standard transmissions are a pain as far as I'm concerned.|||Ive never even heard of that being done before.


If you want a manual in your car find a decent used manual transmission for it and put it in it. Dont try to convert a automatic over to a manual.


Maybe im wrong but that just sounds insane to me.|||I have done the opposite. I converted a Manual 5 speed transmission to a Automatic 5 speed transmission (With overdrive) The car never was the same.


It would stick hard into gears and first gear would rev extremely high. However this may have been our lack of knowledge in the way it was installed but even odd in-s- and outs-s would act strange such as when shifting into "R" or Reverse the hazards would on occasion engage. Make sure your wiring is correct. Hope this helped.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that I read this post because I was thinking about changing a manual to an automatic. However, knowing that this is very complicated and hard on the car, I don't think that I'll try it. It seems better to preserve the engine in good condition. If I want an automatic transmission, I'll just have to sell the car I have and buy a new one.

    http://www.karrysautomotive.com/Cape%20Coral-transmission-repair.html

    ReplyDelete