Friday, December 2, 2011

How much to get my transmission looked at?

I'm driving a 97 Grand Am.





I've noticed that my auto transmission is acting up and I have to take my foot off the gas and press on the pedal again in order to switch shifts.





Now, I'm asusming that this has something to do with the transmission or the fluids or whatever. I don't think it's leaking or anything, but, based on these symptoms, what's the worst case scenario here and how much will it cost?|||Sounds like a slipping tranny, I had this happen on a 3000Gt cause i raced it so much but i didn't get lucky on it $2200 for the new tranny, mine was bad clutch's. If you do not drive yours hard and this just happen I'd say its a clogged tranny oil and filter. Flush the tranny fluid and should be good. Tops $95 if you can do it yourself only cost $30. Hope this helps you!|||i would check the fluic level first.. and what you describe might be a dirty filter in the transmission.. buy some rino ramps about 40dollars for good ones.. a set of wrenches on sale sockets and rachets 50 dollars.. then take the pan off the transmission drain the fluid.. in view will be a filter and take it off a o ring seals it and change that and put a new gasket on and fill it and i think your trouble will be over ok.|||. Sounds like the valves are sticking. I'd go for a total Flush and new filter and fluids at first. $80.


BUT doing that Might stir up crap like Varnish which would Totally jam the trannie up! New or re-manufactured trannie and install, maybe $1500.


If the car has over 200K, be careful. This is just the beginning. Sell it for $500 as a 'Mechanic's Special'.

No comments:

Post a Comment