Friday, December 2, 2011

How can I tell the health of my manual transmission?

How can I tell the health of my manual transmission and clutch?





I am currently running more horsepower (400hp) than stock on a Subaru WRX. I am using synthetic transmission fluid (Redline), and usually drive gentle on the shifts.





Still, every once in a while I thrash on the car. How can I inspect or evaluate the current health of the transmission and clutch?|||The best way to check the condition of the manual transmission is take out the drain plug. Be sure to catch the fluid in a clean container since you are using synthetics. The drain plug should be magnetic on the tip. If it is not, you should replace it with one that is.





It serves two purposes, 1) to easily see if there is excess metal in the transmission and 2) there will all ways be some bits of metal thrown off by the gears and the magnet captures it and keeps it at the bottom of the sump so it does not act as an abrassive


to cause damage to the bearings and bushings.





The clutch is a wear item and with 400 Hp you will know when the clutch is wearing thin...it will start to slip..probably in 3rd or 4th gears to begin with that much Hp and you will notice "feel" of the clutch pedal gets very narrow on engagement.

No comments:

Post a Comment