Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How do you operate a tiptronic transmission?

I have been driving an automatic all my life and have no idea why you shift gears or when. My new car has a "geartronic" transmission which allows me to shift gears eventhough I have an automatic transmission. My question is, which gear do you use when and why do you shift? For example, when would I use the 5th gear vs 1st gear?|||Well theres quite a bit more to it than looking at your tachometer, but basically one rule of thumb is to NEVER let the tachomoter (engine speed RPM's) hit the red line (probably around 6 or 7? it varies car to car). But basically for good mileage, keep the RPM's low, but at the same time, you want to cruise at about 2k RPM. You may want to have someone physically show you how.|||I've driven these transmissions on Audi A8's, Mercedes and BMW's. I flick the wrist anytime I want - low rpm's or high rpm's. You use 5th gear on the highway and you use 1st gear when you start off. I usually go to the highest gears for fuel economy purposes and I like downshifting when pulling up to lights. It's not the same as driving a 5 speed but you have more control this way.|||start in 1st, at 3500-4000 rpm go to 2nd.......If you start in 2nd or higher, the car will accellerate very slowly. Or just stay in the fully automatic mode.|||rpm goes near redline you shift thats my way and i'm stickin' 2 it

No comments:

Post a Comment