Friday, December 9, 2011

How do I disconnect transmission lines from my radiator?

I have a 1993 ford taurus 3.8L V6 automatic GL. I need to replace my radiator but am having trouble disconnecting the "transmission lines" from the radiator. Do I need to use a special disconnecting tool or can I use box wrenches? No matter what tool I need to use can you explain to me step by step how to disconnect the two lines?|||You need to buy special wrenches that look like this:


http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2655-FLAR鈥?/a>





They are called a "flare nut wrench" and provides the required grip without distroying it. Do not use an open end wrench of any quality, simply not good enough.|||these other guys are wrong, there is a little special tool you need, you insert it around the tranny line and it releases a spring lock in the fitting, push in on the line, push the tool in and then pull the tranny line out of the radiator, these can be tuff to make them release, as far as the tool goes, dont know if any auto parts stores sell these but ford dealer can get you one|||There are special wrenches to remove this type of line, but it is possible to remove them with a standard wrench, but if the corners start to round, stop immediately and go buy or maybe rent the tools to remove the lines.|||You need to use quality open end wrenches. Cheap wrenches do not fit properly and will round off the nut. Spray a little penetrating oil on the fittings and tap them a few times to work the oil in to help loosen them.

No comments:

Post a Comment