Friday, December 2, 2011

What transmission is better for a Jeep Wrangler, Automatic or Manual?

I see hardcore offroad Jeeps (big lift, big tires, etc.) that have automatin transmissions, but all I here from my friends is that a manual transmission is way better. Can someone please help me or give me some insight on the pros and cons of these two transmissions for the Jeep Wrangler.|||I have a 1989 Wrangler with an auto and a 2001 with a manual,I like the auto when 4wheelin.When 4wheelin with an auto you can focus more on the road and you don't lose any momentum when shifting.I like the manual for driving around town,I know that this is different from most other people so I guess it is just a personal choice.|||IMO automatics are terrible for extreme off roading areas due to the problem of crawling with an automatic and converters not locking up on low rpm. What happens is when you are crawling over boulders and run up against them, the converter is not locked up so you have to give it some gas to lock it up to get over the obstacle, with a lot of resistance you have to give a fair amount of gas and when you reach the top of the rock you are going FLY over the obstacle. With a manual transmission, and manual transfer case, I just put it in low range, and let it creep. There's a really bad area that we go into and the challenge is a steep hill of over 3/4 miles of HUGE rolling boulders, I make it everytime with ease with my 4x4. I've been there with many jeep clubs over the years and everytime I've been there NOT ONE AUTOMATIC 4x4 has ever made the hill.|||Hardcore Jeeps are trailered, and generally have manual transmissions and transfer cases from 3/4 trucks, along with the axles. They run total crawl ratios of 88:1 or higher. Anything less is a Street Jeep, honestly, and most don't go offroad more than once a month, regardless of all the toys screwed on them. Automatics work fine on them.





Experienced auto drivers can maintain position on big boulders without burning the clutch and rolling backwards. It has a lot to do with skill and vehicle dynamics. I venture to guess most inexperienced Jeepers bring their auto street Jeeps to the big hills to try, so its no wonder the better equipped crawlers make it up more often.





There's more to Jeeping than getting intimate with every big boulder in your way.|||Transmission is a user preference. No one is better, depending on the driver. I have a manual 5 speed with an extreme low gear.





I have heard it is a tougher job lifting (suspension lift) with an auto. It's harder to get the linkage to work right with out cutting the floor board a little, and really dropping the transfercase.|||You are asking the wrong question.





The best transmission type depends on the owner and the type of driving the Jeep will do.





For rockcrawling an auto is generally considered better. For fuel economy a manual is usually better. For people with one leg an auto is better. It's all relative.|||It really depends on your skill in driving, and what you intend on what your use will be for.... Rock crawling you will probably need an automatic... Just road use manual if you can drive one.... playing in the mud some either, if you drive a manual tranny well.... I have a 06 TJ, 6sp manual, 4" rough country suspension lift, 33x12.5 mickey thomp's MTZ, great set up for mud and daily driving.|||Manual for more hwy driving


Automatic for more all around (especially with stop and go traffic) driving.





For off road - I don't know.


===


I've been driving manual (and auto) since 1979. Driving a stick in stop and go traffic is really painful (mentally).





Good Luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment