Friday, December 2, 2011

What happens when a transmission finally goes out?

I am driving my old car while my much newer Benz is in the shop... And I have a feeling that the transmission is going out. It's a 1980 Volvo, and when I am going along on a flat road with my foot evenly on the gas, it shifts up and down and up and down (it's only got 3 gears, so between 2nd and 3rd). I have been driving my boss's car, but now he needs it back, so I have to drive the volvo home. However, I work in a town and live in the mountains, about 12 miles away. If the transmission completely dies on my way home, what's going to happen? Does the steering lock up or anything? How long after it starts doing this does it take? This is the first time I've driven the car in about 4 months, I kind of abandoned it when I bought the Mercedes and just waiting til I had the time to sell it, but now I need to drive it for about another day. I checked the fluids; they're all fine.





HELP! And thank you.|||Yeah...I wouldn't drive that volvo to often. When the tranny stops working it will stop pulling all together. The engine will just rev high cause the wheels will no longer pull.





By the car sitting and the age they play a great part in why the tranny is slipping. You can buy additive to go in to the tranny, but your best bet is to find a transmission mechanic and let him/her determine for sure that it is your tranny needs rebuilding or a new one.|||Most likely the car will refuse to shift when the transmission finally dies. This means you'll be stuck in either 2nd or 3rd the whole way home.|||That doesn't sound like the problem is with the transmission gears. It really sounds like you may just need a tune up. If you haven't driven it for that many months you should drain out all the old gas, then put in some new gas and some STP octane booster. Gasoline stagnates after just a short time and it eventually thickens up into sludge, your engine won't run properly and in the mountains that can lead to the shifting back and forth as you describe.





You can always take it to Autozone and they will run a free diagnostic.|||your car don't move anymore!|||When my transmission died, the car simply acted as if it were in neutral. It coasted off the road, and got towed to the shop to get repaired ($2000+).|||Worst case scenario, you will just roll to the side of the road and stop.


Chances are your car will stop shifting into 3rd and you will be able to limp home in 2nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment