Saturday, November 19, 2011

Can you put automatic transmission fluid in a standard transmission car?

At the only store I had access to at the time, automatic transmission fluid was the only available supplement I could find to fill up the empty reservoir in my standard transmission car. Does anyone know if this fluid will suffice until I can get standard transmission fluid, or will it ruin my car?|||The clutch reservior beside the brake master cylinder uses brake fluid to operate. You need to have the clutch system bled and the transmission fluid removed as soon as possible, if this is what you have done.|||No you can't and that empty reservoir is probably for brake fluid.|||WHAT reservoir?? Dude, you put transmission fluid into something other than your transmission....


Every standard trans I have ever seen is filled by removing a fill plug on the SIDE of the transmission itself, and NO you cannot substitute gear lubricant with transmission fluid.|||I think that the others say it best.


A manual tranny will not have a reservoir.


Power steering, brakes and hydraulic clutches all do have reservoirs as well as the reservoirs for coolant and washer fluid.


Better have a mechanic get it out of there wherever it is and rectify the situation before you have a failure!


Reminds me of when my daughter called me and wanted to know where the oil fill cap was - turns out she was looking next to the gas tank cap......|||You didn't specify the year, make and model. It depends. Some manual transmissions use 5W30 ENGINE OIL. Others actually USE Dexron AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID. To be quite honest, I don't know of too many vehicles equipped with manual transmissions that use MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID. If you are referring to your CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER RESERVOIR. IT TAKES DOT 3 BRAKE FLUID!!!! If you've already topped it up with the wrong fluid, YOU'VE RUINED YOUR CLUTCH HYDRAULIC SYSTEM!!!! Sorry, but I hope you didn't.|||What kind of car? and I can answer this. if you mean the clutch reservoir the little one next to the brake fluid just use dot3 brake for clutch fluid.

No comments:

Post a Comment